Saughall is a civil parish and village in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is situated approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) north west of Chester and close to the Welsh border.
At the 2011 census, there were 4,463 residents in the village.
The Doomsday Book of 1086 mentions the village as Salhale, with a total population of about 85.
The village previously consisted of two townships in the parish of Shotwick, Wirral Hundred. Great Saughall had a population of 147 in 1801, 493 in 1851 and 703 in 1901. Little Saughall had a population of 48 in 1801, 69 in 1851 and 137 in 1901. The present civil parish was created in 1948 by uniting both settlements. In 1951, the population of Saughall was 1,518.
Saughall was a fishing village until cut off from the sea by land reclamation in the Dee estuary.
The village had two local schools: The Ridings Community Infant School and Thomas Wedge Church of England Junior School. The latter, originally known as Great Saughall School, was built and endowed by Thomas Wedge of Sealand Flintshire, at his own expense in 1852 as a gift to the people of Saughall and Sealand. In late 2006 Cheshire County Council agreed to embark on a process which would ultimately lead to the merger of the two schools. In March 2008 the plans were submitted and include building an entirely new united primary school on the school field behind the current Thomas Wedge building. This was completed in 2010, the old schools have been demolished and replaced with Saughall All Saints primary School.
All Saints Church