Chat - Texting and Social Media
Chatting is a great way to stay in touch and keep up to date with friends. E-mail, MSN, Skype, text - what's your favourite?
- Treat your online space with respect only allow your real life friends to link to you if you haven't met them in real life don't link to them.
- Use a nickname online (not your real name) and a nickname that is not going to attract the wrong type of attention!
- Meeting up with an online friend can be dangerous if you really have to meet up with them speak to an adult and make sure that they go with you.
- ALWAYS have a good look at the privacy settings of any spaces you post personal information on and make sure you know who can see or copy your stuff!
- Look out for your friends online and do something if you think they are at risk.
- Delete chainmails - they're just rubbish.
- Learn the SMART rules and use them when you chat online.
Chain, Junk mail and SPAM
Email inboxes can be busy places. Think about how you want to spend your time- seeing emails from your friends or wasting your time with unwanted messages.
Have you ever accepted a file from a friend on Messenger? Always think twice before doing it. Viruses can be spread very quickly from messenger if you're not sure what the message contains don't download and ask your friend on the phone or face to face what it contains.
Only open emails from people you know and trust and remember to read the subject line carefully. If the subject or the email itself doesn't sound as if it is really from your friend DON'T open any attachments contained in the email it might be a virus! Tell your friend what's going on and run your anti virus software to be on the safe side.
Have you ever received one of those emails telling you that you have to forward it on to 10 of your friends or something bad will happen? Chain mails can be a bit of a net nasty if you read something that scares or worries you, find someone to talk to and remember an electronic piece of information like an email can never hurt you. Get together with your mates and agree to delete time wasting chain mails and to never forward them on to anyone.
A chatroom is an open environment where people can get together to talk to each other. It's open because usually you can talk to anyone. If you do use chatrooms try to make sure that there is a moderator this means that there is someone keeping an eye on what is being said and never forget the SMART rules
These days you can chat with people in loads of different ways. From your computer, your mobile, on webcam and from games consoles. Feel free to chat but remember whatever technology you are chatting on from your phone to your games console, the rules are the same. Be suspicious and always ask an adult if you're not sure.