Our PE and Sports Curriculum 2017/18
SAUGHALL ALL SAINTS PRIMARY SCHOOL
PE and Sports Grant
The success of Team GB in the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and the 2016 Rio games has given us an opportunity to inspire the next generation to enjoy sport. The government is determined to secure a significant and lasting legacy from the London games, and to develop children’s enjoyment of sport and physical activity from an early age. Sport should be an important part of any school. Great schools have long known that sporting excellence and participation, alongside strong cultural opportunities, go hand in hand with high academic standards. Schools, teachers and sporting bodies all agree that particular support is required for primary schools. As a result sports funding for primary school PE and sport is to continue. Additional funding has now been promised until at least 2020.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE (CEPD)
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional extra-curricular clubs (Change4life clubs)
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs
- buying into a school sports partnership to enable high quality competition against local schools and also the opportunity to progress to county and national level competitive sport (CSSP)
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games at Level 1 and Level 2 (Sports ambassadors – Level 1 games and entering more ‘B’ and ‘C’ teams into Level 2 competitions)
- buying into the CSSA to further promote and enhance opportunities for competition with other local schools
- paying for sports coaches to develop structured play on both KS1 and KS2 playgrounds during lunchtime
Sports Grant funding 2015/16 and 2016/17:
At Saughall All Saints we decided to further enhance our PE curriculum by spending our sports funding in the following way:
- Chester and Wirral Rugby Tots – an intensive 10 week programme for all our year 1 and year 2 children to develop individual skills, team work, spatial awareness and determination. (£1250 = £13/pupil = £1.30/pupil/1 hour session)
- Cheshire Phoenix Basketball - Hoops 4 Health programme - £350
- CSSP (Chester School Sports Partnership) - £1000/year.
- CEPD - £140/week (2 afternoons of specialist sports coaching) - £5,040 for the academic year raising to 3 afternoons/week in 2016/17.
- CSSA (Chester School Sports Association) - £100/year
- Sports Kit for school teams and new equipment to enhance delivery of extra curricular sports and the PE curriculum - £2000
As part of the PE and School Sport Programme, Saughall All Saints chose to be a member school of Chester School Sport Partnership (CSSP) and opted into the following package for the school year 2015 - 2016. The school have re-joined the partnership for 2016/17 with additions to the package on offer.
Amount £1,000 – 2015/16, £1,200 – 2016/17
In return our school received the following from the Chester School Sport Partnership in 2015/16:
A leadership programme for all primary schools
The co-ordination of a competitive sporting calendar including the School Games Pathway Levels 1-3
More flexible inter-school competitions including A&B competitions
Opportunities for pupils with additional needs to take part in competitive sport through Project Ability
Intensive swimming programme
Change 4 Life clubs
Opportunity to develop strong school – community links
Coachmark / School Games Kitemark
CPD programme including Sport Specific Training (x3) , SL networking, Inclusion training and Subject Leader training including Masters Accredited Modules.
KS1 BUPA ‘Start to Move’ training & KS2 Matalan ‘Top Sport’ training.
PE Health Checks
Pupil Assessment System
Youth Sport Trust Member School
Playground Leadership training for year 5/6 children
Sport Ambassador training for your school
In order to ensure that Chester School Sport Partnership are successful in achieving its aims and objectives Saughall All Saints have agreed;
To commit fully to the programme
Ensure PE and Sport is on the whole school development plan
Work supportively with Chester School Sport Partnership
Meet when appropriate with Chester School Sport Partnership to discuss successes and raise concerns/issues
Agree to payment of £1,000 at the beginning of the academic year.
Chester School Sport Partnership 2016 – 2017
- Leadership programme for all primary schools, including sports ambassadors training
- A competitive sporting calendar throughout the year including the School Games pathway L1-3
- Inter-school competitions including A & B teams
- KS1 Multi Skills Festival
- Opportunities for pupils with additional needs to take part in competitive sport through the Project Ability programme
- Intensive School Swimming Programme for Year 6 pupils
- Change 4 Life clubs in primary and special school setting
- NGB linked programmes and clear pathways to local clubs
- School Games Mark, including help with your application
- CPD Teachers Programme throughout the year
- Gifted and Talented Training for KS2 pupils
- Playground Leader Training & Change 4 Life Champions Training
- Athlete Visits at selected events
- Pupil Assessment System
- Youth Sport Trust Membership
- Annual Sports Award Ceremony
TOTAL BUY IN COST £1,200 per academic year.
As part of the PE and School Sport Programme, Saughall All Saints has chosen to be a continued member school of Chester School Sport Association. This is an association run by teachers to enhance the already excellent competition schedule on offer to Chester Primary Schools.
In return our school will receive the following from the Chester School Sport Association:
Football (x10 competitions/events)
League cups football
Cross Country (Overleigh) 500+ children to take part
Swimming Gala - Christleton
Summer District Athletics
Rounders Tournament - Bishops
Small schools competitions – football and athletics
CEPD (Community Educational Physical Development):
As part of the PE and School Sport Programme, Saughall All Saints has chosen to be a continued member school of CEPD
Amount £200/week – 3 afternoons of specialist sports coaching
In return our school will receive the following from CEPD:
Specialist PE and dance teachers to deliver high quality Physical Education lessons to all children in
FS2 – Y6 whilst providing CPD for our existing teachers.
Chester and Wirral Rugby Tots
All children in KS1 received high quality outdoor games teaching and learning. Individual skills were observed and improvements were noticed. Fewer accidents occurred during PE lessons and during unstructured playtimes due to better spatial awareness. (See separate report from Chester and Wirral Rugby Tots for full analysis of the impact of the programme).
Cheshire Phoenix Basketball - Hoops 4 Health
All children in y5 and y6 took part in a Healthy Living Roadshow delivered by professional basketball players and coaches which incorporated awareness of what contributes to a healthy lifestyle, including smoking, alcohol and drug awareness as well as healthy eating and the benefits of exercise. The children also took part in 3 coaching sessions delivered by professional basketball players from the Cheshire Phoenix team and from this a school basketball team were entered into a competition held at The Northgate Arena. The children were crowned Hoops 4 Health Champions on the day after successfully winning all of their games. An after school basketball club was also established which was well attended each week with over 25 participants from y5 and y6.
Saughall All Saints continued its winning ways in competing in sports events organised by our SGO's at CSSP. We were not only very successful in terms of competing to a very high standard but we also had our best year yet with regards to entering 'B' and 'C' teams in to competitions and entered teams into new sporting competitions for our school, thus getting more children involved and active in a competitive environment.
Here are our sporting achievements in 2015/16:
CHANGE 4 LIFE:
A Change4life club (cheerleading and dance) was set up and was regularly attended each week by over 20 girls in y3,4,5,6. These girls not only participated each week in a physical activity which was a non-competitive environment but they also performed at the opening of the Cheshire County Indoor athletics finals at The Northgate Arena. This was a massive opportunity for these girls and certainly raised levels of confidence, self-belief and self-esteem.
In previous years some of our year 6 non-swimmers have attended a free week of intensive swimming lessons. The children have thoroughly enjoyed the experience and it was amazing to see the difference in their confidence, ability and enjoyment in the water in just a week. However, I am pleased to be able to say that this year none of our children needed to attend these additional swimming sessions as all of the children passed the End of KS2 swimming test.
Four children attended the playground leaders training and have delivered excellent active play all year on our Infant playground each lunchtime. The infant children have thoroughly enjoyed taking part in the organised games and it has developed not only the confidence of the Playground Leaders but it has also developed the younger children's independent play.
After attending the Young Ambassador Peer leaders training session at UCLAN run by the YST eight of our y6 children have proven to be invaluable sports ambassadors for our school. They have not only led sporting teams extremely well throughout the year, but have also blogged about our successes on the Sainsbury's games website, compiled sports reports for assemblies and also organised intra school sporting competitions for each year group to take part in during playtimes and lunchtimes. They have actively helped to further raise the profile of PE and sport at Saughall All Saints.
We were also awarded the National recognition award of the Gold Games kitemark for the second year in succession for our continued commitment to PE and sports throughout the whole school.
In addition to the Gold Kitemark we also received the Cheshire Schools Achievement Award for the second year in succession for our outstanding contribution and achievement in Sport.
The school also held its first ever sports presentation evening in July 2016 which saw each child who had represented a school team celebrated for their hard work and commitment to school sport. Trophies were presented to the player of the year for each school team and also to the most improved sports person, sporting personality of the year and a special recognition award for outstanding contribution to school sport.
The school has entered and competed well in all of the events that the CSSA have organised. Particular successes have been in the cross country where we are the current Chester Schools Cross Country silver medalists narrowly missing out( to a very strong Kings School team) on retaining our title (28 schools and over 500 participants)
A specialist sports coach has worked all year with each of our KS2 classes focusing on a variety of different games which has had a positive impact on raising the attainment of our children in PE. It has also been an excellent opportunity for our classroom teachers to observe excellent teaching and learning with regards to their own CPD.
A specialist dance teacher has worked with each class in the school (including FS2). This has had a massive impact in inspiring teachers to teach dance effectively and also in raising the profile of dance throughout the school. The end of year 6 summer production was a huge success and featured choreographed routines by our dance teacher.
Athletics vests have been purchased and worn by our winning athletics team. Sporting equipment has also been purchased to enhance our teaching and learning during both curricular and extra-curricular time.
For all the latest up to date information on our superb Sporting teams please click on the link below and search for Saughall All Saints by entering our postcode CH1 6EP.